The Seahorse Trust
The Seahorse Trust is a charitable organisation for:
- Research into Seahorses and the general environment worldwide
- Education about Seahorses, marine conservation and the environment worldwide
- The enjoyment of Seahorses and the natural world
This site is for everyone who cares about the welfare of Seahorses and the environment. To find out more about this unique fish species, the work we are doing, to help conserve them and how you can help.
Please use the navigation bar at the top of the screen to learn more.
The Seahorse Trust is run solely on charitable donations, contributions from the general public are greatly appreciated. Without the funding and the help of you all, we would not be able to study these incredible creatures and provide detailed information on their species and habitats; to preserve them for future generations for the benefit of all.
As you can see from the trust website, we work in partnership with so many others, individuals and organisations, and we strongly believe that by working in partnership we will make a difference to the natural world.
With our partners at Save Our Seahorses in Ireland and the Sealife group (and others) we have just set up the Seahorse Alliance, which is a group of individuals and organisations that want to work together and have one voice for the conservation and preservation of seahorses; you can find out more details about this under the conservation button.
The partnership approach extends to all our work and on the Traditional Medicine Trade (TMT) page we are inviting the people of China to work with us to make the TMT sustainable; you can sign up to our invite to the people of China at the following link.
Power of the Pound Appeal
Imagine the power of a pound changing the world!
Every year it costs between 45 and 50 thousand pound to run The Seahorse Trust but look what we do with that.
- We advise and lobby for Marine Conservation Zones; Studland is now a proposed marine Conservation Zone because of you and with your help it will become fully protected in 2015
- We study seahorses in the wild to understand them more so we can help protect them, our work has changed our understanding of seahorses, their behaviour and migration patterns around the world
- We have advanced the science of seahorses both in the wild and in captivity through partnership with others
- We monitor the curio trade to help stop this horrendous trade; we recently stopped a shop selling 10,000 dead seahorses here in England and we hope they will be prosecuted!!
- We have volunteers watching online shopping sites to stop the trade in dead seahorses, already they have stopped the sale of many thousands of seahorses
- We work in partnership with so many organisations around the world to preserve and conserve the natural environment, from the UK to Spain, Malta to Cambodia and Australia to the Philippines and many others
- We help school children understand the world around us; the new conservationists of the future who will be our next ambassadors
- We assist graduates in their projects, they go on and make a big difference to the world
- We work with and advise governments around the world on how to protect their seahorses
- We set up seahorses surveys around the world with partners to gain more knowledge on this amazing species
- We share ideas and knowledge with our partners for the good of seahorses and the environment
- We advise on captive breeding projects to help preserve the seahorses for future generations by securing populations in captivity and learning how to breed them for eventual release if the populations decline
- We talk with the general public on how they can make a difference and people power does change things, you have proven that with Studland
Well as you can see the list is endless and this is just small snapshot of what we do and we can do more, so much more with your help.
So please use the Power of the Pound (or Dollar or Euro) Appeal to make a big difference to the natural world, especially seahorses and the marine environment.
What is the value of a pound, a third of a cup of coffee, a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps or a tool to change the world !!
Please set up a yearly (or monthly) standing order for one pound (or more) to The Seahorse Trust or please make a one off donation by bank transfer, Bank details on the website; make your pound make a big difference to the future of the natural world.
Why not make a donation now with the button at the top of the page, its fast and safe. Thank you for your support
SAVE OUR SEAHORSES campaign website
Have a look at the Save Our Seahorses campaign website and sign up to the invite to the Chinese people
Illegal trade on the internet campaign
Here at the trust we are dedicated to preserving seahorses from all aspects of exploitation and so we have a volunteer, who has kindly offered to monitor online trading web sites looking for the illegal sales of seahorses. It is crucial we reduce this trade to help preserve seahorses in the wild. Throughout Europe and America and many other countries seahorses are protected under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora), so it is illegal to sell them alive or dead, in part or as a whole, whether they are newly dead or antiques. In Europe they cannot be sold at all without a CITES certificate and in the US they can only be sold for the domestic market. So it is illegal to import or export them without a CITES certificate. Recently we had a fantastic succes with E-bay who agreed to bring their rules and regulations in line with international law and so it is now illegal to sell seahorses on E-bay under the same laws as in Europe and America and we are working with other continenets to do the same.
If you see seahorses being traded please let us know so we can let the relevant authorities have the details so they can deal with it.
Newsletter Autumn 2014
WORKING IN PARTNERSHIP WITH NATURE